Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× This is the forum where our students can discuss things relating to their studies or experiences they have had while studying Bob's courses. Please keep it clean, professional and of course entertaining!

Why did they change the CTAF standard format to have Type Before Call Sign?

• Thank you received: 0

S70BlackHawk created the topic: Why did they change the CTAF standard format to have Type Before Call Sign?

Good Morning, Aviators!
I’ve often wondered, why was the standard format of a CTAF call changed to have us saying aircraft type before call sign? This didn't used to be the format before they introduced putting the aircraft type in. But, now it is.
[Location Traffic] (e.g. ‘Parkes Traffic’).
[Aircraft type] (e.g. ‘Cessna 172’).
[Call sign] (e.g. ‘Zulu Tango Quebec’).
[Position/level/intentions] (e.g. ‘One-zero miles north inbound on descent through 4,200, estimating circuit at three six’).
[Location] (e.g. Parkes).

I would have thought that the {location} TRAFFIC and CALL SIGN would go together as they are both a call sign. THEN, say your aircraft type after it.

I’ve always been taught that way ( as was the rules at the time for standard format) and then for some reason they changed the format a few years ago, I still haven’t stubbornly changed, and just say my callsign after location traffic then my aircraft type. ;) :silly:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2

Gflightyt replied the topic: Why did they change the CTAF standard format to have Type Before Call Sign?

potato poetatoe,

do you say IFR before or after your call sign does the wording change the meaning?

You might be a Cessna 172 whiskey tango foxtrot but if you're whiskey tango foxtrot Cessna 172 the game changes...(jks it doesn't)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds