Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin

Converting ATPL challenges

• Andy Venter
  • Topic Author

Andy Venter created the topic: Converting ATPL challenges

Hi All,

Tx for this forum. Wish i'd discovered it earlier!

I'm in the process of converting my South African ATP to Australian. For the most part I've got my head around the actual requirements, i.e. the subs I need to write, medical (done), ARN (done) etc.

But here's what I am battling with: Studying for the CPL airlaw is a tough one because I am unsure of where to start. In other words, HOW far back should I go with my studies (SPL, PPL or straight to the CPL stuff?)?

From what I've read it seems like a fair bit of the exam will involve PPL level knowledge/items? With the result that I've accumulated a bunch of material (starting from SPL, PPL and CPL).

I think I may have fallen into the trap of having TOO much study material.....any advice on which areas to concentrate on (and which not to get too bogged down with), would be appreciated. I have the Bob Tait CPL airlaw book and am tempted to discard the other material - is the PPL info in the Bob Tait book sufficient?

Last question: I know I need to take along: CAR, CASR, CAO, AIP / Jepp, DAPs, ERSA (does this need to include the "complete", do I have to have the RDS, PCA, ERC, VTC.....I think why I am unsure is that it would seem more likely to me that the PCA / ERC, VTC etc would be more applicable to the IREX?

Much Thanks,

Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rl_referre

rl_referre replied the topic: Converting ATPL challenges

Make sure you have a copy of the AIP + ERSA, CARs and CAOs. Buy BT online practice exams to help you look for the references as that is the hardest part. Once you have done 4 that should be enough. Just make sure you can look for what is asked in the CARs and CAOs.

• FlyingThereAndBack

FlyingThereAndBack replied the topic: Converting ATPL challenges

Honestly, discard EVERYTHING but Bob Tait books, at least for the exams anyway. Go through the Bob Tait book cover to cover, and as mentioned, do the online practice exams, it will pick you up an extra mark or two plus give you more confidence for the exam. Take all the charts you're allowed to take, you probably won't need them, but they don't cost that much, and you can use them right through for all your exams, IREX, ATPL etc. There is no need to keep them overly current really, so buy them now, so you're not sitting in the exam kicking yourself wishing you had done so. Bob Tait study material plus a little care factor, can't go wrong!

• Andy Venter
  • Topic Author

Andy Venter replied the topic: Converting ATPL challenges

Thanks for the input.

I've followed that advice and I've covered the lions share of the theory - BT online practice exams next!

Must add that Bob, Rich and Lee have all been champs and have highest regard for their support.

• FlyingThereAndBack

FlyingThereAndBack replied the topic: Converting ATPL challenges

Absolutely do not get better for CPL studies, or even PPL for that matter. If you're going on to do the ATPL exams, there is a certain company which does as well of a job for self study ATPL, as Bob and his team does for CPL, you may have heard of them by now, my understanding is Bob Tait actually has a little to do with their texts too, not sure how much exactly. I'm sure no one would mind me mentioning who, but don't want to stir any pots, could get a little messy, like trying to take off with an excessively AFT centre of gravity.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds