Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

Alt Requirements GPS

• Glanville
  • Topic Author

Glanville created the topic: Alt Requirements GPS

Hi Bob

Just completed a practice cyber exam for IREX. The question was (IREX_097).

An IFR flight is being planned in VH-OZY and one of the ADFs is U/S, everything else serviceable as per the data sheet. The destination has an NDB approach and a GPS NPA. What type of IFR operation is permitted at that aerodrome without the need to provide an alternate? Syllabus item 2.19 (b) (v)

I read a previous question posted regarding the use of GPS as a "suitable aid" and my interpretation was that it is suitable. I therefore thought the answer to this question was PVT, AWK, CHTR and RPT as either an NDB or GNSS can be conducted.

However, the correct answer us PVT, AWK only.

Is this because it is assumed the GPS on VH-OZY is unsuitable for a GPS approach?

Cheers

Adam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Alt Requirements GPS

AIP GEN 1.5 para 8.5.5.4 table on page 18.

You cannot use a C129a GPS to satisfy the requirements of navigation aids at an alternate aerodrome. Note that this does not mean you can't fly an approach using a C129a receiver - it just means that you can't assume it will be available when you are flight planning an alternate.

By the way, AIP GEN 1.5 para 8.5.5.3 seems to contradict this and I have contacted CASA on that issue. They have accepted that 8.5.5.3 is incorrect and will be amended in the next issue of the AIP.

Also, you cannot fly an approach with a C129a receiver unless the aerodrome has another ground-based aid available.

Attachments:

• Glanville
  • Topic Author

Glanville replied the topic: Alt Requirements GPS

Thanks a lot.

On the data sheet it doesn't specify what kind of GPS VH-OZY has, only that it has 1 x "IFR Approved" GPS, so I guess you assume it is C129a in the exam?

Cheers for your help

It seems you have an old version of the book. The data sheet in the book does describe the GPS as C129a. See attached.
Attachments:

• Glanville
  • Topic Author

Glanville replied the topic: Alt Requirements GPS

Hi Again Bob

I was referring to the data sheet I received in the Cyber Practice Exams. The data sheet I had said 1 x "IFR Approved" GPS and I purchased those cyber exams at the start of this week. However I completed IREX yesterday and the data sheet was as per your attachment above. In addition to this, in the paragraph underneath the data it said:

"Assume the pilot is current on all approaches, except for RNAV (GNSS) which will not be tested." I thought this was a confusing statement as it specified the GPS type in the data and some of the alternate questions involved considering the GPS as an unsuitable aid!

Any how I received 95%, largely due to the help of your material.

Thanks!

Congratulatons on an excellent pass. Can't ask for much better than that! I'll check up on the data sheet provided for the Exam Preps and change the wording to agree with the current data sheet in the book. The note you mention in the CASA exam is interesting. When they say RNAV(GNSS) approaches will not be examined I think they are referring to the actual approach procedure. There is no reason why they still couldn't ask questions on the GPS alternate requirements.

Thanks for your feed-back. It's much appreciated.

Regards

Bob

Time to create page: 0.268 seconds