Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

Academic inconsistencies with Bob Tait terminology in CFPA

• Alex Alpine
  • Topic Author

Alex Alpine created the topic: Academic inconsistencies with Bob Tait terminology in CFPA

Hi
Am confused with question vs answer and contingency fuel. Trip fuel is what contingency fuel is based off says pt 135 definitions. Am I right to say that there are academic inconsistencies in the question versus answer? It does make sense that trip fuel is technically both the search fuel and transit, however it is confusing to be told trip fuel is 35 gallons, then in the answer 35 be referred to as transit only and not entirely trip fuel. Am I correct or missing something here?

CFPA page 105
Question: trip fuel to and from the search area is 35 gal,
No 2
Fuel required for the search =90 min at 17.2 gph
= 25.8 gal
Transit fuel = 35 gal (refers to it as trip in question)
Trip fuel required = 60.8 gal
Min fuel required = 60.8 x 1.1+ 15 + 3
= 84.9 gal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 237

Stuart Tait replied the topic: Academic inconsistencies with Bob Tait terminology in CFPA

"academic inconsistencies" we call them typo's, you are correct that there is a typo in the answer I will amend the answer to reflect the inconsistencies in trip and transit.

Thanks for the feedback we appreciate the heads up.

Cheers

• Thank you received: 0

ckelman replied the topic: Academic inconsistencies with Bob Tait terminology in CFPA

I too have been confused by the contingency fuel issue.
It appears to me that sometimes hold/search fuel is factored by 1.1 and sometimes not.
I understand there is a difference in holding over a destination (no contingency fuel required) compared to doing a search pattern distant from home (1.1 contingency factor required).
However in Qu 7 (CFPA p 105) my faith in this approach fails - here the trip fuel to ALT is 26 gal and in the answer (p 130) no contingency fuel is included in the 'latest time to divert'. My answer gave me a max of 22mins to hold.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Academic inconsistencies with Bob Tait terminology in CFPA

The Part 135 MOS separates the trip fuel and destination alternate fuel as two different requirements for contingency fuel.

Part 135 7.02 definitions for Chapter 7 defines contingency fuel as 10% (5% for turbines) of the TRIP FUEL. It then defines destination alternate fuel as separate from the trip fuel with no mention of a requirement for contingency fuel to be applied.

The requirement for contingency fuel to be carried applies only to the trip fuel but not to the alternate fuel. Please don't ask me why, but I can't make it say anything else.

Before the recent changes to the regulations, the contingency fuel was applied to both the trip fuel and the destination alternate fuel. Of course individual operators are free to impose their own fuel policies.

Since the new regulations were introduced, the Performance book has been amended and Exercise 4.18 was rewritten. That amended exercise is now on page 109 of the book. An errata has been posted on our web page.

• Thank you received: 0

ckelman replied the topic: Academic inconsistencies with Bob Tait terminology in CFPA

Thanks Bob
That makes it clear - even if the logic is a little mystifying!

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds