Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL HPL question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Questions on HPL Exam

• Theopheonix 101
  • Topic Author

Theopheonix 101 created the topic: Questions on HPL Exam

Hi Bob,

Just had a few of my friends sit HPL and was going over thier KDRs.
Wondering if you could help us answer a few questions they had.

Which part of the body will trapped gases have the least effect during an ascent ?
A) Middle Ear
B) Sinus
C) Small intestine
D) Teeth

(Chose middle ear and was wrong)

Which of the following gives the best visual acuity ?
A) 1 arc
B) 1 min
C) 1 sec
D) 5 degree

(chose 5 degree and was wrong)

After scuba dying, which of the following are you most likely to suffer from decompression sickness?
A) unpressurized A/c
B) unpressurized at 8000ft
C) pressurized A/C
D) Cabin altitude of 10,000ft

I reckon D) because that would include both pressurised and unpressurised

Side effect of medication when taken for Gastrointestinal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Questions on HPL Exam

Weird questions - where did you get them from?

First question. I would have to pick teeth. An aircraft on climb is moving into a constantly decreasing pressure environment. As the pressure differential between the trapped gasses and the outside environment increases, the trapped gasses expand and cause discomfort (barotrauma). Poor fillings in teeth could cause toothache but it would require a large and rapid onset of the pressure difference to have any noticeable effect.

Second question. Another strangely worded question. I would go for sec. Visual acuity is the ability to resolve small detail and it is limited by the angle subtended from the object's extremities to the retina. One second of arc is the smallest angle offered in the choices. One second of arc is one sixtieth of one degree.

Third question. Again the lowest pressure environment would be the answer. That makes a cabin altitude of 10000 feet the winner.

Fourth question. Nausea, vomiting, dyspepsia, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, or constipation. Take your pick!

• Theopheonix 101
  • Topic Author

Theopheonix 101 replied the topic: Questions on HPL Exam

Yes i know. Unusual questions, but they were the actual questions my friends had messed up in the cyber exam.

Thanks for your clarifications Bob. :)

• Dobbo

Dobbo replied the topic: Questions on HPL Exam

Hi Bob,

I'm programmed in next week for this exam and just came across your explanation both in your training notes and in the forum. The answer you suggested to the 2nd question was 1 x sec as this is 1 x 60th of one degree. If there is 60 minutes in one degree, would it not be fare to say that 1 x 60th of 1 x degree is a minute?

I'm confused on tis this.

Regards:

Dobbo.

According to the one in sixty rule, one degree is one in sixty. One minute is one sixtieth of one degree so that is one in sixty times sixty, or 1 in 3,600.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dobbo

• Dobbo

Morning Bob,

I apologise for labouring this point but I'm revising again for my second sitting of this module and came across this issue again. In your first explanation to TheoPheonix101, above, you mention that one second of arc is one sixtieth of one degree and then in your explanation to me you mention that one minute is one sixtieth of one degree. I'm hoping you can clarify this for me again.

Cheers:

Dobbo.

I'm sorry that was a mistype. I should have said that one second of arc is one sixtieth of one minute, and one minute is one sixtieth of a degree. Therefore, one second of arc is one three thousand six hundredth of one degree. (that is one sixtieth of one sixtieth of one degree).

Sorry about the confusion - I had better improve my multi-tasking skills....

• Dobbo

That's the answer I was hoping to hear!! Thanks for tidying that up for me. I was reluctant to question the teacher, but I just couldn't for the life of me work it out but now all has become very clear.

Thanks once again Bob.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds