Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Fuel requirements

• Thank you received: 0

Jrafferty created the topic: Fuel requirements

G’day guys,
My question is related to the example of VH OZY and forecast requirements on page 129.

Although only an example, The book is allowing for a 10% contingency on flight fuel/mins ?

If I look at the table in Part 91 Mos for fuel requirements on a piston aircraft MTOW less than 5700kg it says contingency fuel is N/A in column 4. However if I then go to Part 135 Mos chapter 7 and look under fuel requirements/ contingency fuel, it then says for piston engine aircraft to have 10% of flight fuel. Could you please help me out here as I’m sure I am just missing something somewhere !!

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 239

Stuart Tait replied the topic: Fuel requirements

Your not missing anything if the flight is private then no contingency fuel is required, however if the flight is an air transport sector then the 10% contingency fuel is applicable. It's an important distinction to make, to know for sure what category the flight falls under.

Jrafferty replied the topic: Fuel requirements

Thanks for that Stuart .

Could you tell me where it says Air transport vs private for the requirement of the contingency fuel ? I don’t doubt your answer at all but I can not see in either the Part 135 or the Part 91 sections I mentioned above where it says for air transport or private apart from that part 91 say you don’t need it and part 135 says you do ! CASA need to simplify things!

Thank mate

That is the whole issue you have to know what category your flight falls under so you can apply the relevant rules, nowhere in the regulations does it clarify the difference. Except this vague entry. If you look at

Part 91.035 "Application of Part 91—certain provisions of this Part do not apply if provisions of Part 105, 121, 133, 135 or 138 apply"

In the table on page 442 you will see the entry Division 135.D.6 and that suggests that Part 91 fuel requirements do not apply to Part 135 operations.

Clear as mud.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jrafferty

Clear as mud !! They might as well start writing it in Cantonese just to make it a bit more complicated ! Thanks for that Stuart

One thing that might ease your mind is CASA has indicated that the type of flight will be made clear in the PEXO exam questions.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Fuel requirements

Also you will find this on the front page of CASR 135.

Attachments:

Thanks Bob ????

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds