Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

New reference needed for exam prep question

• jkatz098
  • Topic Author

jkatz098 created the topic: New reference needed for exam prep question

Does anyone know what the deal with forecast requirements are in the exam now? They have been removed from the aip.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jkatz098
  • Topic Author

jkatz098 replied the topic: New reference needed for exam prep question

** I just saw bobs topic and he mentioned you can't take it in. I've left a message with Gavin from CASA to see what he says.

Which brings me to my next question, are you allowed to take the part 91 MOS in to the exam?

• Thank you received: 237

Stuart Tait replied the topic: New reference needed for exam prep question

No

Attachments:

• Thank you received: 15

Bosi72 replied the topic: New reference needed for exam prep question

CAR239 - forecast must be obtained for any flight outside of vicinity of aerodrome (10nm).

Part 91 MOS Chapter 7 para 7.02 below says both (a - GAF or SIGWX) and (b - GPWT) must be obtained.
(a) (iii) is an overkill saying a forecast must be obtained in any case.

To summarise, (and in my opinion), there are no differences between flights over water and flights over land if you are flying further than 10nm away from aerodrome.

50nm rule is related to alternates, elt, life jackets.

For subparagraph (1) (a) (i), the authorised weather forecasts are as follows: (a) 1 of the following: (i) for an operation at or below 10 000 ft AMSL — a GAF or a GAMET area forecast; (ii) for an operation above 10 000 ft AMSL — a SIGWX forecast; (iii) for any operation — a flight forecast; (b) a wind and temperature forecast.

• Thank you received: 237

Stuart Tait replied the topic: New reference needed for exam prep question

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bosi72

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: New reference needed for exam prep question

AIP ENR 1.1 para 10.7.2.1 says that for flights less than 50nm from departure, any OPRs (INTER, TEMPO, FM, BECMG OR PROB) do not apply. So you do not need to carry the extra fuel requirement imposed by those OPRs.

However Part 91 MOS Chapter 7 para 7.02 says, for flights below 10,000 feet, you still do have to have consulted the GAF or any other message reasonably available (I guess that means any TAF), no matter what distance you intend to fly. If you don't have a GAF, you can use a FLIGHT FORECAST instead (most unlikely for VFR as a FLIGHT FORECAST must be ordered before hand and requires prior notice).

You also need a GPWT in every case.

Time to create page: 0.355 seconds