Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

TAF alternate requirements VFR vs IFR

• Airflow_X
  • Topic Author

Airflow_X created the topic: TAF alternate requirements VFR vs IFR

I’ve had a question that’s been eating away at me for a while and was just wanting to see if I could get a sanity check regarding TAFs and alternate aerodromes.

My understanding for weather requirements according to the mos is that we need authorised weather forecasts/reports for:

(i) the route to be flown; and
(ii) the departure aerodrome, the planned destination aerodrome and any planned alternate aerodrome;

In terms of the airport, I know for IFR we can utilise a GAF instead of a TAF provided there are no instrument approaches and it’s above alternate minima.

5) For subparagraph (1) (a) (ii), for an IFR flight to a planned destination aerodrome without an IAP, or with 1 or more IAPs none of which a pilot is able to conduct, the authorised weather forecasts must be the following:
(a) for the planned destination aerodrome — an aerodrome forecast, an ICAO landing forecast, or a GAF or a GAMET area forecast;

Where I’m getting confused is with:

3) If the forecast for the planned destination aerodrome required by
subparagraph 7.02 (1) (a) (ii) is not available then the pilot in command of an aircraft must nominate a destination alternate aerodrome.

Am I right in saying that a VFR flight to an airport that is not served by a TAF requires an an alternate no matter what whereas a IFR flight to the same airport (assuming no IAP) can utilise a GAF and not provide an alternate (assuming it’s above alternate minima)

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 15

Bosi72 replied the topic: TAF alternate requirements VFR vs IFR

This is PPL stuff.
Have a look at VFRG, Chapter 2.
vfrg.casa.gov.au

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds