Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Rime Ice

• Thank you received: 0

Jase88 created the topic: Rime Ice

Hi Bob,

I noticed you're selling your Piper pacer, hope all is going well mate!

I'm just having a little trouble understanding the answer to this question (find attached). The answer states, "Given the presence of small super cooled droplets, the most likely temperature range is -10 to -20 degrees."

It's my understanding that rime ice can be formed in temperature ranges of -10 to -30 degrees according to your book, so why couldn't the answer also be -20 to -30 and what makes the other range the more correct answer.

Many thanks,

Jason
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Rime Ice

Jason
Thanks for your question concerning rime ice. There is a difference between rime ice being possible and rime ice being most likely. I think you have made a valid point. I can see that there could be some confusion about the wording of that question. I have changed the book to indicate -10 to -30 in all cases. In the real world, nature isn’t as neat and tidy as that anyway.

Thanks for your feed-back.

Bob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jase88

• Thank you received: 0

Jase88 replied the topic: Rime Ice

Thanks for the quick reply Bob,

Yep that's true, nature can be quite unpredictable at times.

Thanks

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds