Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Navigation question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

LMT and ARC Time

• James B
  • Topic Author

James B created the topic: LMT and ARC Time

Hi can anyone explain exactly what LMT is and how it differs from Arc Time (15 deg/hr) and Mean Solar time?

Thanks james

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: LMT and ARC Time

I'm not certain whether or not you have read my Nav book, but here is a page that may help with your question.

File Attachment:

File Name: NAV2.1.pdf
File Size:154 KB
Attachments:

• James B
  • Topic Author

James B replied the topic: Re: LMT and ARC Time

Thanks Bob I am making my way through your book I was looking for an explicit definition of LMT. What do you think of this:

Def LMT: Is the arc time differance between a locations current positon and its (LMT midnight postition) (i.e. at the midnight position LMT=0000 and it's anti-meridian has the sun at it's highest point)

Example: a location with a LMT of 0600 has travelled 90 degrees/6 hours from the point where it's anit meridian had the sun at it's highest point)

Cheers James

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: LMT and ARC Time

Yes, that sounds like a legitimate definition to me. The earth's rotation can serve as a clock. Every 15° of longitude difference is a time difference of one hour, which is the same as 4 minutes for each degree. Therefore each meridian has its own local time based on how many degrees it has traveled since it passed the 'midnight' position.

Good luck with your study - you are obviously a deep thinker!

Bob

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds