Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Performance question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Fuel rounding

• graham@haleys.com.au
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

graham@haleys.com.au created the topic: Fuel rounding

Hi,
I’m currently working through the CPL Performance book. I have no problem with the maths involved but I cannot get my head around what is appropriate rounding.
In the beginning of the book it is suggested that multi step fuel calculations should be done on the basis of 1 decimal place rounding per step, then round up to the nearest whole number.
Exercises 4.14 & 4.15 have me confused. I have used the above method and my answers do not match yours.
e.g
Exercise 4.14 - your working
Q1 Step 1 is to calculate the trip fuel. This is then rounded up to a whole number
Step 2 is the calculate the holding fuel. This is left at 1 decimal place.
Step 3 is to add 10% to the trip fuel (1 decimal), add the holding fuel, reserve and start up + taxi fuel
The answer is then given to 1 decimal place - not rounded up

Exercise 4.15. - your working
Q1 Step 1 is to calculate the trip fuel. This is then rounded up to a whole number
Step 2 is to calculate the alternate fuel. This is then rounded up to a whole number
Step 3 is to add 10% to the trip fuel (1 decimal), add the holding fuel, alternate and start up + taxi fuel
The answer is then given to 1 decimal place - not rounded up

Q2 Step 1 is to calculate the trip fuel. This is then rounded DOWN to a whole number???

Can you please give me some guidance as to what is expected in the exam? What rounding will CASA want? Will it be multiple choice or will I have to input answers?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Fuel rounding

Graham
Those questions appear to have been leftovers from the time before the introduction of 'type-in' answers. Thank you for your feedback. I have made the adjustments to the working shown in the book. I'm sure you would have been safe in the exam as CASA do apply a margin in the answers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds