Header1200x385

× Welcome to the CPL Performance question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Clash of Part 91 and Part 135 contingency fuel requirements

• Thank you received: 0

hazza4257 created the topic: Clash of Part 91 and Part 135 contingency fuel requirements

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this scenario would ever arise in the CFPA exam (or perhaps the question will clearly spell it out) - but I wanted to clarify it just in case. It seems like something I should know by now but I don't!

The Part 91 MOS table 19.02 states that for piston/turboprop aircraft with MTOW>5700kg, and for all turbojet aircraft, you require contingency fuel - being 5% of trip fuel.

Meanwhile, Part 135 MOS states that while operating under 135 you require 10% contingency fuel for piston aircraft, and 5% for turbine (I assume that covers turbojet aircraft and turboprops).

Are these requirements cumulative?

In that case, when operating under 135:
Piston, less than 5700kg - nil + 10%
Piston, more than 5700kg - 5% + 10%
Turboprop, less than 5700kg - nil + 5%
Turboprop, more than 5700kg - 5% + 5%
Turbojet, any weight - 5% + 5%

I must remember also that 5 minutes is the minimum for the Part 135 contingency fuel! I wonder if that rule ever comes into play in CFPA?

Am I overthinking this? I'm thinking CFPA focuses on aircraft with MTOW<5700kg so you can essentially forget about the 5% requirement from Part 91. However my understanding is Part 135 can cover MTOWs all the way up to 8618kg, and CASA does identify fuel policy as a weak point for candidates.

(I'm aware that <5700kg is actually up to and including 5700kg)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

hazza4257 replied the topic: Clash of Part 91 and Part 135 contingency fuel requirements

I have consulted with a former ground theory teacher who told me the exam is exclusively piston aircraft with MTOW <5700kg. In other words, the contingency fuel can always be assumed to be 10%. The only exception is where it states a "company policy" of carrying x% contingency for private flights etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds